The Madness of Hope

Cleaning out the Cobwebs

How did I get so many cobwebs? I am not the best house cleaner. With a big home and many things going on in my life, deep cleaning is not a priority. Today, however, I am cleaning as I am hosting a fundraiser dinner for our mission trip to India in October. Not only will guests come to eat but many will come to decorate and cook. I am ashamed at the cobwebs that have appeared, seemingly from nowhere. That must mean I have not been paying attention to the inner most places in my home. As I become lazy, cob webs form, flies get caught, and my lack of cleaning becomes obvious to everyone. It makes me think of my spiritual life. I am aware of the bigger sins and continually ask for forgiveness and help in those areas. But what about the small things that often go unnoticed? As those things build up, they form a web to collect other sins. Often others are subjected to our negative or impure thoughts, causing them to get involved and sometimes stumble Sometimes we need deep cleaning in our own hearts and lives; a concentrated effort to seek out the areas of our lives that we have neglected. It can be laziness in relationship, the movies we watch and the conversations we entertain. If we want our hearts to be squeaky clean then we need to deep clean on a regular basis, just as we do in our homes. So, today, as I continue cleaning my house, I will pray for God to search out my heart and clean it as well. Psalm 139:23-24 “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”