The Madness of Hope

Without Winter There Would Be No Spring

I am delighting in the spring, not even having to leave my garden to bask in the warmth and joy of this new season. The sun wakes me early to the sound of birds singing outside my bedroom window. I venture out my back door to gaze at the beauty. Each new bud brings anticipation of color and flowers. The birds swoop into the birdfeeder to taste of the fresh seeds placed lovingly for their enjoyment. My sixty pound tortoise awakes with renewed hunger to roam the yard, tasting of the newness. The roses are in bloom, the color bursts forth on this otherwise dry and barren desert soil, the breeze is warm and blows laughter from neighboring children enjoying the opportunity to play outside.
Living in climates where there are no defined seasons, one does not enjoy the spring. I’m not used to spending long hours indoors to avoid the cold. Yet, it dawns on me that when there is no winter there is no spring to anticipate.
It reminds me of James 1:2-4, 12. We face trials of many kinds and our faith is tested. There are winters in our lives where all is dark, gloomy, and the days are short. Yet these are the seasons in our lives which produce faith and later maturity in our relationship with God.
“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. “
Just as the winter is followed by the brilliant colors and beauty of spring, so, when we endure the winter of our lives, the steadfastness and purity are promised to follow. The sun will shine again bringing a newness of life and we will receive the crown of life that God has promised.
I don’t’ particularly look forward to a crown of gold and jewels. Mine will be a wreath of fresh spring flowers accompanied by the sweet fragrance of spring.