The Madness of Hope

Organzing and Decluttering: It Will Happen

A pressing urge has decended upon me this last year to declutter my home. We have traveled around the world for the last 20 years and have collected items from many countries. Each time the movers arrive, they pack every single item. So here I am, finally settling into Southern California with so much stuff that I love and have fond memories of, but have no space for.

This also come with a need to organize There are piles of papers, books and junk packed in strategic places around my home. Having the gift of hospitality, there are often people in my home and, when that happens, the piles get hidden away, sometimes never to be seen again. Or it takes an hour to find the right stack of mail. Plastic storage bins have been purchased only to fill up and more are needed.
.
Today I went to a garage sale and bought more stuff. All unique items that will attribute to the peaceful atmosphere of my backyard: that is whenever I get around to arranging them. So, in the meantime, they are in the back end of my pick up. For $2.00 I also found some pretty black organizers for mail and files.

Blissful and not so organized is my life. But I want to change. So I have purchased many books on organizing and decluttering and love settling down in my comfortable black sofa and opening one of these books to get ideas on how to get my life in order. I have so many it is taking some time just to get through them as I lead a busy life. My favorite, at this moment, is The Joy of Less, by Francine Jay.

My 20 year old son finds me a great source of amusement and never ceases to make fun of me, pointing out my flaws in a loving way. “Mom sits around all day reading about how to organize herself when all she needs to do is make herself do it.” And, “Mom is a hoarder. She hoards books on how to get rid of the stuff she is hoarding, “

Yes, mom needs some help decluttering and organizing! But it will happen. I can feel it! Spring is here and it is time for new beginnings. So I say to my son, “You wait. Don’t make fun of your mom. You won’t know this house by fall!”