The Madness of Hope

Turning Fifty - Middle Age Rocks! OYHT link open

Last week I turned FIFTY! I haven’t mentioned it because I am not sure what I think!
I hardly remember turning thirty. I had just given birth to twins and was running on little sleep and frazzled nerves.
Turning forty was one of the best days of my life. In turning forty, I received ten extra minutes on my qualifying time for Boston. I made the trip from Costa Rica, where we were living, to Cincinnati, where my parents lived at that time. We drove to Athens Ohio specifically to run the marathon, just two days after my birthday.
I DID IT and qualifying for Boston put me in the top ten percent of runners. I felt fast, strong and YOUNG. I had never felt so empowered physically.
Last week crept up on me. All I could think about was the victory of turning forty and how I have had to stop running altogether because of my migraines. Physically I am not in very good shape.
My twins are 2000 miles away in college.
The milestone of each decade has brought a different phase of life. In light of that, I guess turning fifty has given me a sense of freedom. I have time to pursue the things I want. I have a schedule full of speaking dates and will be leading a mission team of women to Africa in October.
Last week all I felt was old. Today, I can see how God has opened doors and is allowing me to begin this next decade of my life in new and exciting ways. I need to get over my wrinkles and cellulite to rejoice in the ways God is blessing me.
Not only that! I went online to look at AARP Benefits and saw I can get $25.00 of pole dance lessons!!!
Jeremiah 29:11-13 is still true at fifty: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
Rock On Middle Age Women!!!