The Madness of Hope

'G' is for Giving up Africa for Mark

In today’s sermon our pastor spoke of the mutual sacrifices made in marriage. He related the story of his wife giving up her dreams of Africa to marry him.

When he mentioned this, my mind immediately owned this phrase and I texted in a Facebook status update “I gave up Africa for Mark.”

I had dreams of living a lifetime serving the people of Africa. Growing up a missionary kid in Zambia, my life and heart was shaped by a love for the people and a desire to lead them to the Lord. In college, my eyes never strayed to another profession because this was not a career choice but a calling, a passion.

While serving as a missionary in Zimbabwe I met Mark, my future husband. A huge contributor to my love for him was his desire and willingness to jump right into my work with the youth at the church I served.

Not long after getting married we moved to the United States. Soon after he took a job with Chiquita Brands International which was followed by seventeen years of living in Central America and Africa. Three years ago we returned to my homeland.

Mark, my ever sensitive husband, read my status, “I left Africa for Mark,“ and became upset. That led to a long discussion and then soul searching on my part.

There was no regret in my statement; only fact. When I married Mark, I relinquished my desire and commitment to be a missionary. Period.

I never stopped doing mission work. In fact, I always said I had the best of both worlds. I never had to raise support nor report to churches regarding how I used the funds. Mark’s high salary enabled me to fund whatever project that I immersed myself in. There were no newsletters to write, no financial records to mail, no answering to churches on how I spent my time.

I answered to God alone. Having been raised with a missionary mentality, that was the most freeing concept of all. I was only responsible to my heavenly boss.

So in response to any worry on the part of my Facebook friends regarding my status “I left Arica for Mark”, I am clearing the air.

I willingly left Africa for Mark and I have never looked back nor regretted that decision.

Serving God has not been about Africa but about letting God use me where He desires in whatever capacity He chooses. I left serving God in Africa to serving Him all over the world.

Marrying Mark was a good thing. That said, I am thankful I left Africa for Mark.