The Madness of Hope

Got Heartburn?

Does Jesus give you heartburn? I am still pondering over Luke 24:13-35, the passage from which I wrote my blog yesterday. After Jesus resurrection, he met two believers on the road to Emmaus. They were saddened because their Lord had been killed and Jesus was comforting them with Scriptures that spoke of Himself. As they reached the town, they asked him to stay with them longer as they took comfort in his teachings. It was not until he broke bread and gave it to them that their eyes were opened and they recognized Jesus. He disappeared immediately and they asked of each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?” Is it safe to say Jesus gave them heartburn? Sometimes when I read His teachings in the Bible, my heart does burn. I feel convicted, inspired, comforted, and excited when the word sinks in and my heart burns within me. Yet, at other times, I read and it does nothing for my soul. I have to believe that is my fault. For, “The Word of God is living and active: sharper than any double-edged sword. It penetrates even to the dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12 NIV) If my heart is hardened so as not to hear from God it is because I have not prepared myself to hear. I love it when I ‘hear’ from God and am thankful that His Word is living and active. I pray I will have an open heart and mind to always understand its truth. Do you desire spiritual heartburn?