The Madness of Hope

Yukka and other Yucky Veggies

Pulling off the Interstate, I gazed out over the empty, desert field, to view large white spots on the horizon. There were ten to fifteen of them and, curious as I am, I had to discover what it was, for it was not there yesterday that I recall. The closer I got, I began to recognize them as large white blooms extending from a cactus like plant. Memories flooded my mind of living in Central America with these Yukka plants in my garden. When the plants bloomed into large thick white petals, the locals would chop them off and sell them in the markets. They were cooked with meat or even eaten raw. Everywhere I live, I find plants that are eaten that seem foreign to those of other lands. When we first moved to Zambia, our neighbor asked if they could come take some leaves off our hibiscus tree to eat. They were stewed in onion and tomato: as were pumpkin leaves. Most plants can be eaten, including many cacti, flowers and trees. Here is the United States we have become so accustomed to broccoli, cauliflower and other vegetables that are common to us. Yet, in many countries those are unavailable and people have managed to find food from other plant sources. To be honest, I don’t care for vegetables. Therefore, I have not been a very good mother in forcing my children to eat vegetables. But they have eaten yucky yukka and I thank God that in each country we have lived, He has provided vegetables that help meet the daily vitamin and mineral quota needed to maintain a healthy diet. Maybe one day I will go into all the yucky animal products I have eaten! Those are millions times worse than any yucky veggie.