The Madness of Hope

Thankful for My Bathroom

Too many times we look for big events to be thankful for. Today, I choose to be thankful for something we take for granted, until it is taken away from us.

This week, I am thankful for my bathroom. During my 2 weeks in Thailand I used a lot of different bathrooms!

Since they didn't flush, you had to pour a bucket of water into the toilet to make it go down. That led to constantly wet floors. This photo was at an Akha Village in Thailand where we were privileged to participate in their Thanksgiving Celebration.

This was an interesting one at a school in South Africa.

Some chose to use the buckets outside.

This shot was taken this year in Stockton, Texas. I wondered if I was in America when I saw the double seats!

We had to try them out!!!

Then I came home and spent four days in the hospital where I shuffled to the toilet, pulling my IV rack, and shared a bathroom with a roommate very sick and suffering from vomiting and diarrhea. I think that was worse than the primitive toilets.

I've been home a few days now and am still so grateful for my bathroom! It is clean and there is a roll of white paper to clean myself with. There is a little handle where you push and the water flushes it down all by it's self and there is no smell lingering. Then there is a little bowl to wash my hands, soap, a towel, and a way to choose if I want hot or cold water to come out. How could I not be grateful for such a luxury?

Photobucket

>