The Madness of Hope

My Kitchen

This summer we were privileged to participate in a leadership conference in a village in Zimbabwe. Having grown up in and around the African villages I knew what to expect. One of the first things I noticed were the chickens, already chased down and ready for slaughter.

While the meetings took place, the women would kill the chickens and cook them over the open fire, to have a meal prepared when the everyone was ready. This day was no different

We went back after three hours of meetings to find the chickens ready to eat.

Being served nothing to drink with the meal, I was thirsty and grateful for the well that our church had provided the funds to drill. It hit the spot as we had had nothing to drink all day with the exception of a cup of tea.

So today, I am thankful for my kitchen. There is a fridge to keep my chickens from spoiling while they wait to be cooked. I have counter space, running water and a stove that turns on with the turn of a button, never a need to gather firewood and start a fire.

When I think of my kitchen, I am reminded of the many meals cooked for my family and friends and for the opportunities given to open up my home to others. It is easy to practice hospitality with a kitchen so inviting.

To today, I thank God for my kitchen and the ease it presents in preparing a meal.