The Madness of Hope

Be A Blessing / Service Project 3

It began with a vision and desire to bless the woman of a small town in Mexico. After two years, our church decided to take this program, “Bee a Blessing” to our own community.

Two hundred and fifty women and forty nice men volunteered to make this day a success. Stations were set up throughout the church and included: manicures, facials, make up, massages, bracelet making, a boutique to choose a new outfit and shoes, haircuts and blow dries and a photo area where a photo was taken and placed into a frame to take home. Booths were set up with information regarding many church and community services.

Over four hundred and fifty women arrived to be pampered and treated to a delicious meal, laid out on tables decorated with table clothes and cloth napkins. After the meal, we had an inspirational speaker and included a decision time.

This event, called Bee a Blessing, was open the first year to single mothers. However, this year we expanded to include all women who were in need. Invitations were passed out in many low income areas and the whole day was free. Babysitting was provided for children under six. The women were loved on, pampered, fed, and made to feel special.

My experience: At one point, I saw a young woman sitting by herself. I sat next to her and began to ask about her life. After three years in prison, she had been released early based on good behavior and now lived in a halfway house for women with substance abuse. Fifteen of the one hundred ten women at this institution had accrued privileges to leave and attend the event. They had heard of the event through Celebrate Recovery at our church.
Humbled and beating herself up, Farra shared how she had made so many mistakes in her life and now had years to pay the consequences. She had come from a very wealthy family in Beverly Hills but had chosen to get involved with the wrong crowd. She was broken and could not get past the fact that she had made so many bad choices.
I asked her if she had asked Jesus to forgive her and she said she had. I went on to explain to how those sins were now separated from her as far as the east is from the west, and how you couldn’t get any further than that. Tears welled in her eyes.
During the decision time, I was praying with one woman and looked up to see her among others waiting at the front, waiting for prayer. Our eyes locked and she waited for me. After I prayed with her, I promised to call her this week. She looked me in the eyes and said, “I love you.”
Now, tears fill my eyes as I picture her eyes watching me as she waited. For, I know, I love this woman too.
I will call Farra tomorrow. When she has gained privileges, she will be permitted to return my call.
This is the third post in my series of the Church Serving the Community / Service Projects. Below are the first two: Go Outside the Walls: Into House to Home Bumper Bag Sundays