The Madness of Hope

My Skills as a Housewife

Walking into my parent’s home one day, my father greeted me with an animated question, “Hey, did you hear about the tornado that went through town?” After I said, “No?” he went on to say, “Yeah, it went right through your apartment!” A couple months before my wedding, he took me out to lunch to give me some advice on being a good wife. One thing he advised was, “If you want to keep your husband happy, you have to do a better job with keeping your house neat.” That was twenty four years ago and the hardest part of being a homemaker is keeping my house free of clutter. I don’t live in a pig sty but I am definitely not Martha Stewart! I enjoy life; prefer being outside and am not a perfectionist. There are many books in my bookcase on organization. In fact, my son says, “If you would quit reading about organizing and just do it you’d be a lot better off!” It is not for lack of knowing how; there just seem to be other things more important.
To be honest, this has been an issue in our marriage as my husband would like a neater home. I go through stages where I keep things straightened up and then the old habits slip back into play. It is a constant struggle for me and has been since even before we were married. So, joining with Courtney on Media Mondays, our subject this week is Media and our Homemaking. All I really have to say is, “The two are unrelated in my life!” If homemaking is our top priority, it will take precedence over the internet and TV. If we had other priorities before internet, it will stay that way. That said, since we are on the subject, I am putting down my laptop now to go clean the kitchen and make supper. I have done a good job of making myself feel guilty for not being Suzie Homemaker and am turning over a new leaf.
And... hurry up and read this before I delete my horribly embarrassing photo of where I work (on the living
room floor)!

Media and Parenting
Media and My Marriage
Media and My Relationship With God
Media and My Home Making

The Not-So-Secret Confessions of a First Time Mom