The Madness of Hope

Paying For Being Distracted

Yesterday morning I was cycling, following a friend who was running. There was no need to wear my helmet or gloves, as I would be riding slowly. At the moment, I was headed downhill on a straight road, braking often and feeling a bit pressured to get home in time to go to the beach with friends. I reached down into the pack attached to my bike, opened the flap, and took out my cell phone so I could check the time and see if I had any text messages. The next thing I knew, my right hand hit the assault, soon followed by my left cheek. I hit hard.
As the day wore on, more and more bruises and scrapes appeared and my arm became so sore that I could not straighten it nor put pressure on it in any place. This morning, I was awakened by a text message asking if I was going to the gym. All I could think was that I felt like a train had hit me.
The worst part of it is that it is totally my fault. I let myself get distracted so easily. I’m told I’m not a good driver and obviously I shouldn’t be on my cell while cycling! Yet, this is a pattern in many areas of my life.
Unaware, I have let my mind become easily distracted lately and that is not what God has intended. He has entrusted me with projects, plans and people, to which I am forever grateful,l and I have repaid His trust and faithfulness by letting my mind become focused on other things.
Even if these ‘other things’ are not wrong, when they interfere with what God has in store for me, they become sin. If I continually check my text messages during my prayer and bible study time, then my cell phone has become a sin in my life as I am placing it before God. If I find time to exercise but no time for bible study, then I have sinned. If I have time to have ‘fun’ with friends but do not spend time praying over and preparing for my upcoming mission trip then I have my priorities out of order and have let Satan have reign in my agenda.
It’s a matter of focus and balance.
I think I learned a few lessons yesterday. I should never use my phone while cycling. I should always wear my helmet, even while going slow and should wear gloves. God gently taught me these lessons on a day I was going slowly so I wouldn’t be injured badly.
He also used this to gently remind me to keep my eyes focused on Jesus