The Madness of Hope

"Señora, I Have Leprosy" Part Two

(If you haven't read Part One, please do so before continuing. It will make more sense)
After so many of my readers comments on Part One, I actually hesitated posting this as the end is not what is probably expected, or wanted. But, it is what it is, so please continue. Maria asked me not to tell the townspeople of her leprosy and I agreed. But that confidence was broken with one Christian friend who had taken me in when I first arrived at Puerto Armuelles. She was a very caring woman and also a young mother. I shared my concerns with her. Within minutes of our conversation, the phone began to ring. Puerto Armuelles is a small community and many on the banana compound knew Maria. They called out of concern to confirm the news, or so I thought. I taught a kid’s bible club every Wednesday after school at my house and Maria always helped me. Very few kids were Christian but they liked the club. Many parents, though not wanting their kids to learn the doctrines of Christianity, sent their children to improve their English. Suddenly attendance dropped and many were not even allowed to play with my children. This greatly saddened me. Because I had broken Maria’s confidence and because another ‘Christian’ chose to spread the gossip, Maria’s fears became a reality. And most of these people claimed to be Christian, mostly Catholic, and attended church or mass. Questions filled my heart and mind. If we, as Christians, fail to show compassion for the sick and hurting, then who will? Should we not be setting the standard? Was Christ being portrayed to Maria and her family? Or did she feel hurt, rejection and fear from those called to love? My husband was transferred to Costa Rica six months after this incident. In the meantime, Maria remained my best friend. She loved on my children, played games with them, cooked for them, and touched them. They, in turn, loved her. We made sure her family had the medical care needed to see the leprosy through to a cure, and helped Maria finish her education to become a teacher. The sad part is that, while the ‘Christian’ community hurt Maria, the Mormons took her in and made her a part of their ‘family’. We corresponded for a while but have now lost contact with each other. Last I knew she was one of the leaders in the Mormon Church in Armuelles. If the ‘church’ had been the church Christ called us to be, I doubt that would have happened. It leaves me sad.