The Madness of Hope

Home For Christmas

The shopping centers are crowded, the church buildings are bustling with activity, and the calendars are jam packed with parties and commitments.

I’m home. I’ve pretty much recovered from surgery but am working hard to finish a bible study on 1 Peter that I will be giving to the ladies at my church in January and February. The study guide has to be ready to print on the 15th and I have eight lectures to prepare.

Yet, I am not missing the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season. I am enjoying my home with the tree lit and beautifully decorated, my mantle sparkling with lights, the nativity scenes displayed, music playing, cookies displayed on plates and the spicy aroma of my homemade Christmas potpourri escaping it’s mini crock pot.

This year is different in that I am home and I am finding joy and peace like never before. Instead of activity, I am in God’s Word. Instead of rushing in and out of stores, I am enjoying my own decorations.

Maybe Christmas time was designed to be at home and kept simple, enjoying the sights and smells that remind us why we are celebrating. At least this year, this is where I am supposed to be: home and unwrapping Jesus as each new scripture I meditate on brings me back to Christ and God's purpose for the world.

And, when I become discouraged that I cannot DO, I have my faithful friend Tracy from A Daily Walk in His Grace, encouraging me to extend grace to myself and delegate, even if just for a season. Thank you, Tracy.