The Madness of Hope

Venice Beach



I first visited Venice Beach just over two years ago when I moved to Southern California. Being a people lover and having a fascination with cultures I fell in love with the place: the ethnicity of foods, crafts and people, the entertainment, beauty of the beach, miles of running and bike trails and just the weirdness of it. Unless you have been there, it is hard to explain.

At the same time, my heart was burdened. There are so many drug addicts, palm readers, homeless individuals and mystic religions represented. And, I hesitate to say this because it brings out controversy, but there is also demon possession.

There were the Jewish Family Center, the Hare Krishna Culture Center, the New Age and Christian Science Reading Rooms. Yet, as much as I looked, I didn’t see any sign of Christians. I know they had to be there but I couldn’t find them.

I would have done anything to live closer so I could go and set up my own stand to sell something, anything, just to make a presence for the Lord and hopefully befriend these people. I could not, however, as it was too far from home.

So I began to pray. I have not been as faithful about praying as I should have but I have been praying; for two years. I’ve prayed that God would send the right people into the area to shine the light of Jesus.

The last couple times I’ve been there has been a man who sets up a stand to feed the homeless. He has a ‘penny ’jar out for anyone to donate to his cause. Not only does he offer food, but he is there all the time and the homeless know him and they know he loves them out of the love of Jesus in his heart.

Yesterday there were two men preaching. Now, I know, this may sound weird. I mean, who stands on street corners and preaches anymore? But, in Venice, this is completely normal. For people preach anything there. They advertise things I would not write into this PG rated blog.

I was attracted to a group of people listening and asking questions of this man. He was about forty-five, full of tattoos, dressed in black with studs, with one of the kindest faces I know. As people combated what he was saying, I heard him say kindly and with passion, “You guys, I’m not talking about religion here. I’m talking about a personal relationship with God….” My heart was warmed and I stood and prayed for this bold soldier as he spoke.

There is more I could say, and a million photos I could post, but all I will say in this post is: God is answering my prayers and sending His servants into Venice Beach. Will you join in praying God’s boldness and protection over them? And will you pray for more willing servants to love these people and shine as a light in this otherwise dark place?

Yesterday I wrote about some questions I had regarding a homeless man at Venice