The Madness of Hope

Culturally Relevant

Joining Lisa Jo at Gypsyi Mama for Five Minute Friday. The word is:

Relevant: GO

I just spent two weeks in Thailand and am now in South Africa. My thoughts are all about being relevant. Not relevant as in fitting in with the crowd or the latest fashion. But culturally relevant.

I put aside my tendency to hug and, instead, shook hands, slightly touching the elbow with the left hand. I tried not to hold eye contact with a man for very long, even when he was speaking to me. I watched what the Thai, Akha and Burmese people did and tried to take their lead as so how I should act.

I spent more time in greetings, tried not to talk over people but aimed for the quiet, attentive stance when in a group. I took off my shoes before entering a home and I did not touch anyone on the head.

It was about putting aside what I wanted to talk about or do, and look out for the best interest of them. For, when I leave a country, I never want anyone to excuse my behavior just because I am American or did not know better.

STOP