The Madness of Hope

He Wants Love

God doesn’t want us to be ineffective and unproductive in our knowledge! Yep, that is what 2 Peter 1:8 says. So, what is effective and productive knowledge?

To varying degrees, most of us desire godliness. 1 Peter 1:2 says that, “His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness our knowledge of him.” So, we find all power, guidance, wisdom and instruction to live godly lives right here in the book that sits on our coffee table or is slid into our bookcase. Just seeing it does not give us the power to live lives that will glorify God. We have to read study and know the words written inside.

As we learn God’s word, we become godlier by travelling through a sequence of stages that end in love.

“Make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness, love.” If these qualities are increasing in our lives, if they grow more and more prevalent, THEN our knowledge will be effective and productive. (1 Peter 1:5-9)

I love to study God’s Word but I do not want it to be seen as worthless. I can know all there is to know, but if it is not demonstrated by love in my life, it is worthless.

Today, I pray that as I strive to KNOW God’s Word, that it will become so much a part of my life that I will be godly and loving.