The Madness of Hope

Are You Dehydrated?

I have heard that if you feel thirsty, then you are already dehydrated. Yesterday, we cycled twenty three miles home from the beach. It was a gradual incline and not a hard ride, except we headed out in the midday sun without a cloud in the sky. It was beautiful, but very hot. Before going to bed, I drank three glasses of cold water to relieve my thirst, woke up twice in the night to drink more water, and awoke thirsty this morning. On hot days, full of exercise, it is easy to allow ourselves to become dehydrated. If we wait for our bodies to tell us they are thirsty, it is too late. We need to be proactive and drink all day. The same is true of our spiritual lives. When we meet with him on a regular basis, we drink regularly from the streams of living water. It doesn’t take long away from Him to become spiritually dehydrated. That causes thirst, weakness and temptation to refuel in the wrong places.

It is a daily choice, a daily commitment; to come the fountain of living water and drink. Jesus said, in John 7:37-38, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” And when we drink from the living water, His Spirit flows out from us and we represent the stream of living water to the world. That is what I want, for want people to look at me and SEE Jesus! I often let myself get spiritually dehydrated and then stream of living water do not flow from me. So, today, I come to drink from the streams of living water. I am thankful that it is cool, refreshing and never ceases to flow!