The Madness of Hope

S for Sparrows

Have you ever watched sparrows play? This morning, while waiting for a friend, I glanced out of my car window to see two sparrows playing. They swooped down to the ground, pecked at the earth a couple times then began dancing circles around each other. They would hop a few feet away, only to repeat their routine. They took flight and retuned again to the earth, taking great joy in each other’s companionship. It seems as if they were playing, joyful and having fun. As I thought about their ‘happiness’ I realized they had not a worry in the world. The sun was shining, there were munchies on the ground, and no danger in sight. The sparrows were living in the moment, knowing they had all they needed in their lives. They were not worrying about the possibility of a cat nearby or if there would be food tomorrow. They just played, enjoying life. As I gazed upon their simple beauty, Luke 12:22-26, 31 came to mind. Jesus said to his disciples,
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will wear; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than the birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? But seek his kingdom, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Having the life of a bird seems fun: to just play, enjoy life, and trust their needs would be provided for. Yet, I can have that carefree life. For, as verse twenty-four says, “And how much more valuable are you than the birds?” So today, I thank God that I have a Father who watches over me, protects me and provides for my every need. I am thankful that I don’t have to worry about having my needs met. And I am thankful that my faith has been tested at times as to His provision. For when I have worried, He has proven Himself faithful every time and these trying times increase my faith. Today I am going to dance, and play and enjoy life: just like the sparrows.