The Madness of Hope

M for More Like My Mother

Recently, while walking through my garden, I tripped, over nothing. Just fell down. Laying there on the ground, thoughts ran through my head, “I am just like my mother!”

My mom falls a lot, over nothing. While we joke about it, we also a worry that one day she might hurt herself.

The last few years people have told me that I am like my mother. Someone even commented on a recent post I wrote, "You remind me of your mother. That is a compliment.’

It is an honor to be told I am like her, for everyone loves my mother and is inspired by her. She makes them feel special and wanted. She has the gift of hospitality and when one arrives at her home for dinner, they find she has gone the extra mile to lay the china and cook elaborate meals with fancy deserts.

She is the perfect Grandmother, always dropping everything to sit and talk to the kids. They are the most important thing to her.

My mother is a true woman of God. I know of no one who spends as much time in the Word or who prays as much as my mother. Without fail, wherever she is, she rises early to spend time with the Lord. If she is anticipating a full day, she will set her alarm for the wee hours of the morning because that is her priority.

Few anticipate heaven like my mom. She began looking forward to her heavenly home long before the trials of life weighed heavy upon her. In a previous post, Sex and Motherhood, My Mom and Heaven, I wrote how, over time, I have come to understand that longing.

I remember years ago when my parents moved to a new province in Zambia and had to minister in a different language. My mother picked up Chichewe faster than my father and could teach her lessons before he could preach sermons. Yet, she held back. When asked why, she said she didn’t want to discourage Daddy. She sacrificed her knowledge out of love and encouragement for him. That was the first time I noticed the sacrificial nature of my mother.

So when people tell me I am like my mother, I am proud. and, with the exception of falling down, I’d like to be more like my mother.