The Madness of Hope

True Servants / The Body In Action

I was blessed to participate in the Harare Regional Conference in Zimbabwe. I saw the body in action, using all their gifts.

Some preached the Word.

Choirs sang and led others in worship.

We saw the gift of evangelism.

An offering was taken and those with the gift of giving gave what they could. Those gifted with business minds counted the money and allocated the money given.

Teachers taught the children Bible stories.

Then I came across these servants of God. While the main Sunday service was taking place and many were exercising their gifts, these men were doing what they felt called to. They were cleaning the 'toilets' and outhouses. Believe me, it couldn't have been a fun job with that many people. Yet they were proud of their job. They were so proud they asked me to take their picture! They did not desire the 'more honorable' gifts nor say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body." (1 Corinthians 12:16) Rather they served with humility and joy. To me, these men represented Christ more than anyone that day!
The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" and the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you." On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor... while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other." 1 Corinthians 12:21-25