The Madness of Hope

Tortured For Faith

Do you ever wonder if you could withstand being persecuted for the sake of Christ?
I have often thought about what I would do if I were called upon to die for my faith. If it were a quick painless death, I am pretty sure I would choose death. For, “To live is Christ, do die is gain.”
But I fear my reaction if I were to be tortured first. I hope that I would remain faithful and be brave, as so many others have done. But, I fear giving way to pain.
Have you wondered what you would do?
I take comfort in Philippians 1:21 where Paul says, “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed but will have sufficient courage so as that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or death.”
Paul hoped and expected he would be courageous but he still thought about it or he wouldn’t have written these words. We are told that we will not be tempted beyond what we can bear and that we can do all things through His strength. I am sure these words had special meaning in the first Century church and those around the world today that are being persecuted for their faith.
That gives me comfort to know that many persecuted Christians also pondered and prayed over the issue.
Maybe we should pray for that courage just in case we are called upon to die or be tortured one day for our faith.
In the meantime, I pray I will show myself faithful by living boldly for him every day, never failing to stand up for my faith in my daily conversations.
Please keep the Persecuted Church in your prayer.