The Madness of Hope

My Fruit Smoothie Went Wrong

Something is wrong with my fruit smoothie.

The fruit called for in the recipe is “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.” Galatians 5:22-24.

Yet, I have mixed in some of my possessiveness, jealousy and hurt feelings. That has led to hurting another friend's feelings. You'd think at my age I would have learned to let go and let God take care of things, realizing that it is not about me, but about Him.

Added to the mix are two godly women whom I respect giving me completely conflicting advice. That, mixed with my hurt feelings, has me sending out mixed signals, which leads to where my hearts is: all mixed up.

It's like being in a blender: full of fresh fruit to make a delicious smoothie. Yet, mixed in with the fruit of the spirit is a tablespoon of salt. It must have gotten there when I turned my back and let down my guard.

We all mix in water with our smoothies at times. Our motives, relationships and life is not as pure and steadfast as we would like. Our spiritual lives have their ups and downs.

But the salt? That's what totally kills the flavor! Once that salt is mixed up with the fruit, it is almost impossible to get it out.

That is where I am right now: striving to remove the salt, one granule at a time.