The Madness of Hope

Lessons I Learned From The Vet

Once I took my dog to the veterinarian for a procedure. She was fearful and struggling to jump off the cold metal table she had been placed on. The vet instructed me to cover her eyes gently with my hand, stroke her head and talk to her. That done, she immediately calmed down and was less stressed.

A few years later I was interpreting for a medical team in Honduras. There was a boy who had an abscess on his knee that had to be lanced and he was fearful as the procedure was a little painful. Remembering my vet’s advice, I covered the boy’s eyes with my hand, and spoke softly to him. Unable to see the needles and the blade, he calmed down and his fear subsided.

To this day, I consider the advice from my vet as wise. Sometimes when I stress, worry and am fearful, I close my eyes and imagine that God has gently covered my eyes with His hand. I don’t need to see what is going around me but only need to hear His voice and trust that it will all be alright. The pounding of my heart slows, my blood pressure drops and I calm to His gently spoken words.

“Be still and know that I am God, “

“For my thoughts are not are not your thoughts, so are my ways higher than your ways.” Isaiah 55:8.

“Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul, for my yoke is easy and my burden light,” Matthew 12:28-30.

“Come away with me by yourself to a quiet place and get some rest,“ Mark 6:31.

“Do not let your heart be troubled. Trust in me!” John 14:1.

“I tell you these things so that you will have peace. In this world you will have troubles, but take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33.

Sometimes when life gets too much, I just close my eyes and listen to His still small voice. It gives me peace every time.

Thank you, Dr. Bitter, for your wise advice.

Linked with Gail at Bless a Blogger Friday