The Madness of Hope

Falling Off My Big Girl Shoes

The dust billowed behind my tires as I drove way to fast into the dirt parking lot behind the church. I slammed on my brakes, jumped out of the car, and ran inside.
I was late. I had spoken at a Women’s Luncheon and had not been prepared for the 3-½ hour drive home. It was Good Friday so I should have expected it but I was now 15 minutes late for our church service.
I had to go to the bathroom really bad but had refused to stop, knowing I would arrive even later. I ran past the greeters and straight into the bathroom stall. I could hear the music coming from the worship center and hated to miss one minute more. As I rushed out the stall, I fell out of my new big girl shoes. I had just come out of two back-to-back speaking engagements and had done so well on my new five-inch trendy high platform shoes!
That evening, I wrapped ice packs around my ankle and propped it up, all the while thinking, “I just bought another pair of shoes for Easter! They are so cute and I have to wear them!” Finally, with the return of platform shoes, I can go with really high again!
Pleased that my ankle only slightly hurt the next day, I put on my other new pair and headed off to Easter services!

I fall off my big girl shoes in life too! I get in such a hurry that I slip up. I say things I should not. I get flustered with too much to do and I make bad decisions. My soul feels downcast and I step back from activity, isolating myself from interaction with others.
Yet, life is about getting back on and finishing the work! “His mercies are new every morning.” ( Lamentations 3:22-23) I am so thankful that God shows us grace no matter now many times we fall.
I don’t think God cares so much about the falls as much as about how we get back up, wipe off the dust, rub the wound, and walk on.
I know I will fall off a lot more shoes in my life. So, I will say along with the Apostle Paul, “Brothers and sisters, I know that I have not yet reached that goal, but there is one thing I always do. Forgetting the past and straining toward what is ahead, I keep trying to reach the goal and get the prize for which God called me through Christ to the life above.” Philippians 3:13-14 NCV