The Madness of Hope

When Memories Fade

My most vivid memories:
Of flying across the world in the oversized airplane and gazing out the small window, wanting to break off a piece of the white fluffy could and drink from the cook, fresh water contained inside.
The huge anthill we planed in and around as children.
First love.
Holding my children for the first time.
Even…the make believe stories my sister and I told of meeting Tarzan and swinging through the African jungle with him. We told them so many times they became a vivid reality in our memories.
These memories are fading. The color is not so bright and the details are sketchy. My eyes do not see them as clearly as they once did. Much of the vividness has blurred so much that glasses cannot even help.
Yet, I take heart.
“All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field. The grass withers and the flowers fail, but the word of the Lord stands forever. “ 1 Peter 1:24,25
“Though you have not see (Jesus) now, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an expressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.” 1 Peter 1:8-9
I take joy and comfort that, even though memories fail and vividness turns to gray, God is the strength of my heart and the hope of my soul. He never fails and His Word remains forever.