The Madness of Hope

Melancholy Christmas / Link open

There has always been something sad about Christmas: that is since I got old enough to not be enchanted in the count down till the presents were opened.

Christmases were always spent away from family; from as far back as I can remember. Either I was overseas or my parents and sister were. Christmas is about family.

Christmas music has always made me cry. Even Christmas commercials cause a flow of tears to roll down my cheeks. It brings out the sentimental side in me.

This week as I listened to the tunes of Christmas songs of years past, I began to cry. I texted a friend who came back with, “The Christmas story is not good for you?” That was testosterone speaking back at me. Maybe it is my estrogen that makes me cry.

So there you have it! I am filled with Christmas Melancholy. In between the joy of baking and the excitement of parties, you will find me crying.

I don’t know what I can do about it as I have been this way all my life. I assume the rest of my Christmases will be the same.

Yet, to my friend, I will have to say, “Yes, The Christmas story is good for me.”