The Madness of Hope

Chosen

anyone remember being the last one chosen for a sports team? Yep! That’s me. There is nothing worse.

We visited an orphanage in Thailand and a little girl attached herself to me right away. I am not one kids normally are drawn to so it surprised me. She stayed near the whole time we played with the children. She began by shyly watching me, then became more and more bold as she climbed onto my lap. Then she took my hand and led me to the playground where it was just she and I: just the two of us. She wanted me by herself!

It made me think of God and how He chose me. And He chose you. Not only are we a chosen people but also we are chosen individuals. He did not choose out of merit or appearances. He chose us JUST because He loves us.

Even though God desires the worship of the church as a whole, He also desires the adoration of us singularly. He desires that one on one time. And even though He desires that of many, He is God enough for all of us. I don’t think He ever feels pulled by His time or affections. There is plenty to go around.

Today, I thank God that God chose something in me to love. I have little to offer and continually fail Him as I seek out my selfish desires. Yet, he looks beyond my sin, as in Him, it is washed away. He called me out of the darkness of a life without hope and leads me to walk in the everlasting Light.

I thank Him, that I can come boldly and confidently before His throne of grace, to received mercy and grace in my times of need. (Heb. 4:16)

I thank him, that just as this small child sought time alone with me, that He continually seeks me out to show me His love, mercy and kindness.

1 Peter 2:9-10 but you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.