The Madness of Hope

Solitude: God's Training Ground

I’ve been studying the life of David lately and God has been speaking to me and touching my heart in ways that only He can do. This week I will be sharing on how God trained David to be the future king of Israel and how I have related that to my life.
God had huge plans for David’s life and chose to train him on the fields of Bethlehem where David served his father as a shepherd for the herd of sheep. Before David could be trusted with an army and later a nation, he had to prove he could be trusted with the responsibilities that were given him on the home front.
David spent hours and days alone. However I do not believe he spent his time chewing blades of grass and lying on the grass watching the clouds roll by. He was diligent in keeping watch over the sheep, guarding them, keeping them safe and making sure they were led to fresh pasture and water. He killed a lion and bear, preparing him for the future task of killing Goliath and later going into battle.
He spent hours by himself with time to think about life and God. He had to make decisions on his life and choose to remain faithful even while alone. It was during those years alone that God found him ‘a man after His own heart’. That means that his heart was good, loyal and pure.
Earlier on in our marriage we were stationed on remote banana plantations in Central America while my husband worked for Chiquita Banana. It was a solitary time and one God used to train me in His Word. Like David, I have failed God many times but I believe those years of solitude were instrumental in building my character and relationship with God.
Maybe that is why I often long for solitude even now. I think solitude, peace and God work together as God training ground for further ministry.