The Madness of Hope

First Love

Have you ever noticed people who are newly in love? They can’t keep their eyes or thoughts off each other.

It is the same with new Christians; they have a new excitement and zeal for the Lord, grown out of the newfound love and forgiveness they have received. There are times when I am around new Christians that I long for that same excitement about God.

This brings to mind the church at Ephesus that Paul writes about in Revelations 2:2-4. “I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance….You have … endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I have this against you, you have forsaken your first love.”

In Ephesians chapter one, Paul had commended the church at Ephesus for its love for God and for others, but many of the church founders had died and the church was made up of many second generation Christians. They were a busy church; they worked hard for the body and for the community, but they had lost their first love and were being warned of the dangers of this. They were to continue their good words, not because they were supposed to, but purely out of love for God.

I find that convicting. For how many times do I care for my husband and children because I have to rather than because I love them. Is it a chore or an act of love? And how often do I serve in the church, join a committee or teach a class out of obligation or self-promotion rather than love?

It doesn’t seem like it should make that much difference as long as we are doing what is right, but it does. He went on In Revelations 2:5 to say, “If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.”

This means that the church would cease to be effective. It would not be a light in the darkness to lead people to Christ. This was serious business to God.

I don’t know about you, but I want that first love feeling with God. I want to be excited about our relationship, to have eyes only for Him, and to be a light to draw others to Him. Just as marriage counselors advise date nights and spending time together to rekindle love, so we also need time alone with God to keep our relationship strong.

As I spend time in his presence and recall his faithfulness, I pray I will be drawn back into that new found love that is not only meant for new Christians, but for every follower of His.